I am lost for words. Yesterday morning while I was at the gym, I kept seeing pictures of our Parliament on the news… Without being able to hear or see the subtitles, I just thought it was every day news… Turns out, it was quite the opposite. I got a message from my best friend a few moments later telling me her office was on lock-down and that there was one, possibly two shooters, that opened fire on a young soldier standing guard, as well as in the Parliament itself.
I spent my entire day sitting in front of my computer watching the live coverage and keeping my friends and family who were stuck in the lock down zones updated. 6h later, I realized that I hadn’t eaten since breakfast, but with all the stress, I wasn’t hungry.
So last night’s dinner was a quick and simple one, but filling and nutritious. It’s a mix of all my favorite ingredients as well.
You will need
- 1 butternut squash, seeded, peeled, and chopped into cubes … or buy PC’s pre-chopped squash… which is what I do. It’s actually cheaper than buying a whole squash
- olive oil, salt, garlic (powder or minced), rosemary
- spinach, washed
- cherry tomatoes, washed and cut in half
- green onion, finely sliced
- feta, crumbled
- balsamic vinegar and olive oil (equal parts) for dressing
How to prep your squash
- preheat your oven at 400 degrees
- prep your squash, then place it in a mixing bowl and toss it with the seasonings and olive oil (YOU CAN USE PAPRIKA AND CHILI POWDER FOR A SPICY SQUASH)
- line a baking tray with parchment paper, space your squash on it, and place in the oven for 35-40 minutes, until caramelized
Once your squash is nice and caramelized and tender, pull it out of the oven and let it cool while you prep the rest of your salad. I shred my spinach since the leaves are always too big. Chop the rest of your veg and plate it.Once that’s ready, add some of your squash cubes, dressing and crumbled feta. Eh voilà!
I also made some brown rice and mixed some in. Quinoa would have also been great.
I am still a little rattled by what happened back home, therefore I am sorry if I am not as chatty as usual! My thoughts go out to all of those that went through the horrible wait and fear.
Also, I have some good news coming for you guys next week, so keep an eye open!