For those of you that don’t know Flight of the Conchords, I highly recommend that you watch this… We have been singing the grocery store bit for days and days and days, which has inspired me to make this Thai Coconut Curry soup! There is a music video that goes with the song, so head over to YouTube if you want the full experience!
Now that the intro is taken care of, here is the recipe!
You will need
- 1 can of coconut milk, you can use light, but I suggest using the regular for that real creamy feel
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 head of brocoli, florets chopped in bite size pieces
- 1 bell pepper, julienned
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 handful of green beans, julienned (optional)
- 3 big garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. of grated ginger
- 2 tbsp. curry powder
- 2 tsp. low sodium gluten-free soy sauce
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Sriracha, to taste
- Lime juice, to taste
- Rice noodles, cooked according to package (for how many people you’ll be feeding)
- Green onions and coriander, to garnish
To start, sweat your onion in some vegetable oil for about 2 minutes, until translucent.
Add in your veggies and let sauté for about 3 to 5 minutes. You don’t want them too cooked, so if they still have a crunch to them, that’s perfect.
Mix in your garlic, ginger, curry and soy sauce, stir until everything is coated, then pour in your coconut milk and broth.
Give it a good stir, and bring to a boil.
While it’s simmering/boiling, cook your rice noodles according to the package in a separate bowl/pot. By doing this, you prevent them from over cooking and sucking up all the broth from the soup.
Once the soup is boiling, add in your cooked rice noodles, lime juice, sriracha and salt & pepper. Adjust to taste.
Garnish with the green onion, coriander, and a slice of lime, and you’re all set!