Everyone suffering from seasonal allergies, put your hands up!
Yeah, I’m sitting here with Kleenex stuffed up my nostrils to stop any possible leakage while I type… Far too busy to stop, drop, and blow my nose. It’s also a very attractive look, according to my girlfriend… Not sure if I detect a bit of sacarsm, but eh! She still loves me!
So on a day like today, I really don’t feel like cooking or eating, for a matter of fact, so I am keeping things quite simple. If you have some leftover plain rice, a can of lentils (or you know, any beans), and some veggies that have almost given up the will to look good, this recipe is for you. It’s also for those of you that are bursting with energy and are looking for protein packed lunch ideas!
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups of canned brown lentils, thoroughly rinced and drained (keep the rest to make this recipe)
- 1/2 to 1 cup of cooked rice of your choice (pictured above is white basmati rice)
- 1/2 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. white onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. of low sodium & gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp. of olive oil
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. of grated ginger
- 2 gloves garlic, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- OPTIONAL: 1/2 tsp. of Dijon mustard
In a small container, whisk up your soy sauce, olive oil, ginger, garlic and salt and pepper. Adjust to taste; I am not a big raw ginger fan, so I went with a smaller amount of ginger, but you do you!
In a large serving bowl, fold together your lentils, rice, and chopped veggies, then toss everything with the dressing.
Tada! Simple, efficient, protein packed lunch!
You can play around with the amount of each ingredient in order to customize the salad to your taste, and also to create bigger batches for more weekday lunches. Feel free to add in more chopped veggies!